[nycbug-talk] FBSD sysutils/bsdstats

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Thu Aug 10 11:45:54 EDT 2006

On 10 Aug 2006 at 11:27, Jeff Quast wrote:

> On 8/9/06, michael <lists at genoverly.net> wrote:
> > Funny.. the OP in those links put up another link as a reference:
> > (http://www.mreriksson.net/uptimes/) The Uptime Project.  I never
> > really understood that cheesy bravado.  Why would you want to brag that
> > you have not patched your box for the last 6 years?  And not just brag..
> > but to register it and have it available on a website, along side
> > other poorly maintained boxen.. like it is a badge of honor.
> >

> http://www.blahonga.org/~art/diffs/index.html
>
> "In various discussions one can often hear the argument "I can't
> reboot my machine, it will give me bad uptime.". For some reason some
> communities are using the uptime of a machine as a compensation for
> something else being small. This creates bad system administration
> practices.
> This diff remedies the problem by allowing people to enlarge their
> Epenis by arbitrarily adjusting their uptime through sysctl. Not
> tested other than that it builds. "
>
> Too funny. I send this patch out to anybody who just _has_ to mention
> their awsome uptime. What a joke.

To be fair, it is fairly common to get uptimes of > 200 days without
being subject to possible exploitation without patching.  It all
depends upon what you are running and whether or not you have local
users.  Not all patches require rebooting.  Many can be applied and
installed without a reboot.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php