[nycbug-talk] apache on freebsd

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Aug 23 11:20:45 EDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 04:27:45AM -0400, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> I'm running modperl2 under freebsd / apache2 (prefork  , built from
> ports )
>
> a 'startup.pl' file in the httpd.conf loads a ton of modules before
> apache forks, to take advantage of memory sharing
>
> on my osx dev boxes, that means
> 	80 MB memory on parent apache
> 	10-20 MB memory per child process
>
> on my freebsd6 box though, i'm seeing
> 	121 MB memory on parent apache
> 	121 MB memory per child process
>
> i don't know why freebsd is using 40mb more memory, but right now i
> don't care.... my bigger problem is that apache is just not sharing
> memory
>
> some friends on the mod-perl who use freebsd list are checking on
> things-- but i figured i should check to see if anyone here is
> running apache2 or apache2+modperl under freebsd6 and might have a
> clue from the other perspective
>
> i've got the same apache binary running a few different ways on my
> server ( using different httpd.conf files to create tailored
> servers ).  from what i can tell, no apache processes are sharing
> memory, mod_perl or not.
>
> anyone have an idea what could cause this?

couple questions, are the binaries built in the same manner on OSX and
6.1 (i.e. using same configure flag's).  also, are you loading the same
modules on each host at runtime?

what is the main concern about how much memory the apache process
is taking up, could it be that FreeBSD is being more aggressive in
caching?  also, is each child process taking up 121Megs of virtual
memory or resident memory (ps should show you this info in detail)?

-pete

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright