[nycbug-talk] apache on freebsd

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Wed Aug 23 13:17:02 EDT 2006

On Aug 23, 2006, at 11:20 AM, Pete Wright wrote:
> couple questions, are the binaries built in the same manner on OSX and
> 6.1 (i.e. using same configure flag's).

No, they're *slightly* different, though I've combed through the docs
to see if anything could be at fault

  ----
OSX
	-D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
	-D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
	-D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT

FreeBSD
	Server loaded:  APR 0.9.12, APR-UTIL 0.9.12
	Compiled using: APR 0.9.12, APR-UTIL 0.9.12
	-D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
	-D APR_USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZE
  ----

> also, are you loading the same
> modules on each host at runtime?

They're both using the  same Perl modules.

For apache modules, they both have compiled in
   core.c
   prefork.c
   http_core.c
   mod_so.c

OSX has more compiled in:
   mod_access.c
   mod_auth.c
   mod_include.c
   mod_deflate.c
   mod_log_config.c
   mod_env.c
   mod_setenvif.c
   mod_mime.c
   mod_dav.c
   mod_status.c
   mod_autoindex.c
   mod_asis.c
   mod_cgi.c
   mod_dav_fs.c
   mod_negotiation.c
   mod_dir.c
   mod_imap.c
   mod_actions.c
   mod_userdir.c
   mod_alias.c
   mod_rewrite.c

FreeBSD handle
	alias
	acccess
	dir
	env
	mome
	log_config
	rewrite
as dso mods

FreeBSD doesn't have  anything extra , as its the production machine
and supposed to be 'lean' (its behind a reverse proxy. ,lighty, soon
to be nginx, is the port80 server )

Both are
	Apache/2.0.58

And load the  same versions of mod_perl and libapreq as their only
dynamic modules

> what is the main concern about how much memory the apache process
> is taking up, could it be that FreeBSD is being more aggressive in
> caching?
> also, is each child process taking up 121Megs of virtual
> memory or resident memory (ps should show you this info in detail)?

on OSX, immediately after an httpd startup, Apache spawns
	1 parent server	80552  30796
	1 child server	76560   2960

freeBSD spawns
	1 parent 55148 51736
	1 child 	55412 51956

After 1  request,
	OSX child is + 14mb resident
	FreeBSD child is + 120k resident

The freebsd stuff is irking me, because on some startups I see it
with 55 MB of RES + VMEM, and on others its with 120  (i always STOP
then START the server.  restarts leak like a sieve )