[nycbug-talk] postgres incremental backups?

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Aug 24 19:19:59 EDT 2006

> On 8/24/06, Peter Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I have a postgres 7.4.x database which we will be using for a data
>> warehousing project.  We project the initial database clusters will be
>> in
>> the ~200-300gig range (served from a NetApp volume).  As I mentioned we
>> are using release 7.4, as we have experienced stability problems with
>> 8.x
>> in some specific circumstances.  Is there a good way to do incremental
>> backups of pgsql db's that does not require taking the database down?  I
>> guess I am looking for something similar to PITR (point in time
>> recovery)
>> for 7.4.x.  What are other folks out there using?
>
> The only thing I can think of is Slony-I [1]. It should cover all of
> your needs and give you a safe online way to replicate your cluster to
> some future 8.1.x or 8.2 when the time comes.

great thanks bob, i'll have to check that out!

> Out of curiosity, what kind of stability problems are you referring to?

i did not have first hand experience with it (and the dev. left who was
running into the problem) but from what I understood was that we were
having bad transaction log's fill our cluster volume pretty quickly.  he
submitted a bug (BUG #2104: pg_xlog/ trace files not reclaimed by server).
 to tell you the truth - i am not sure if the bug is a side effect of his
code/app or if it is an issue with postgres....

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright