[nycbug-talk] postgres incremental backups?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Aug 24 22:55:17 EDT 2006

On 8/24/06, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
> > The only thing I can think of is Slony-I [1]. It should cover all of
> > your needs and give you a safe online way to replicate your cluster to
> > some future 8.1.x or 8.2 when the time comes.
> >
> > [1] http://slony.info/
>
> Just out of curiousity, is Slony the de-facto replication solution for
> Postgres?  I remember last time I looked (quite some time ago) there were
> a variety of solutions...  I don't recall if any were particularly mature
> at the time.

I don't know if it's de-facto, but it's the only free solution that I
found that was reasonably designed. The other ones seem to be
synchronous or otherwise unreliable-by-design. As far as case studies
go, Slony-I was originally developed by Afilias (the registrar for the
".info" TLD), and I'm relativley certain it's involved in most of
their business-criticial apps for replication and load balancing.

Interestingly, I first found out about it at BSDCan 2004 :)

-bob