[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 340.noid periodic script + jails

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Dec 26 23:15:55 EST 2006

Hi all,

Just thought I'd run this one by the group...

You're probably familiar with the periodic script
(/etc/periodic/weekly/340.noid) that reports on what files on a host that
have an unknown user or group.  One annoyance I've found beyond the
occasional tarball that unpacks with unused uids is that many times there
are UIDs that exist in a jail but not on the main host.

For now we just threw a patch in there to skip the path that matches where
we stash the jails.  Ideally I'd like to figure out a method that would
not involve applying this everytime we see a change there in a mergemaster
run.

We brainstormed a bit and came up entry.  Anyone else faced with this tiny
annoyance?

Thanks,

Charles