[nycbug-talk] Unmanaged Switch, SNMP traffic data?

jh jhlists
Wed Jan 4 01:02:32 EST 2006

Isaac Levy wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I'm looking for the following:
> 24 port Gigabit Switches
> Unmanaged (though I want passive SNMP data so I can collect aggregate
> traffic usage?)
>
> Am I wishing for a product that doesn't exist?

You might want to look at the Netgear GS724T.

> --
> I don't want to get into the layer2 and layer3 switches for a number  of
> reasons, cost, complexity, more manageable stuff secure, and yet
> another device to plug a wire into...

It isn't a true smart switch, but it does have SNMP and some other
smart-switch-alike features - it supports jumbo frames, bonding, Qos,
VLANs, etc. It has a very easy web interface. Mine cost something like
~$350, and very well worth it IMO. I can attest to the jumbo frames and
bonding support - we're using both to very good effect for some ghetto,
relatively high-throughput NFS stuff - but haven't tried the SNMP myself.

jh