offlist: [nycbug-talk] Unmanaged Switch, SNMP traffic data?

Isaac Levy ike
Mon Jan 9 15:34:16 EST 2006

offlist- (I figure less noise for a boring topic)

On Jan 4, 2006, at 1:02 AM, jh wrote:

> Isaac Levy wrote:
>> Hey All,
>> I'm looking for the following:
>> 24 port Gigabit Switches
>> Unmanaged (though I want passive SNMP data so I can collect
>> aggregate  traffic usage?)
>> Am I wishing for a product that doesn't exist?
>
> You might want to look at the Netgear GS724T.
>
>> --
>> I don't want to get into the layer2 and layer3 switches for a
>> number  of reasons, cost, complexity, more manageable stuff
>> secure, and yet  another device to plug a wire into...
>>
> It isn't a true smart switch, but it does have SNMP and some other
> smart-switch-alike features - it supports jumbo frames, bonding,
> Qos, VLANs, etc. It has a very easy web interface. Mine cost
> something like ~$350, and very well worth it IMO. I can attest to
> the jumbo frames and bonding support - we're using both to very
> good effect for some ghetto, relatively high-throughput NFS stuff -
> but haven't tried the SNMP myself.
>
> jh

Do you know off anywhere I can see a demo of the web interface?  I'm
serioulsly considering 3 of these switches, but can't waste any time
with something I may have to return for some reason or another...

I looked all over the Netgear site, but no-go there...

Rocket-
.ike