[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD completely headless install?

Jay Savage daggerquill
Wed Jan 11 13:17:55 EST 2006

I sort of suspected that, but I can't find any info on the freesbie
site about what the default root password might be to ssh in with. I
can see how to make it work from a custom image (I think) but if I had
a waorking FreeBSD system to build FreeSBIE with, none of this would
be an issue.

Note to self: never pack the peripherals, even if it's only for a
couple of months.

Thanks,

--jay

On 1/11/06, George R. <george at sddi.net> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2006, at 12:56 PM, Jay Savage wrote:
>
> > This may have been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything.
> >
> > I need to install FreeBSD 6. The computer I have available is
> > currently running as a headless server (OBSD 3.6) and the monitor,
> > keyboard, and anything else useful are instorage due to a recent move.
> > I don't even have a null modem cable at the moment, which might
> > simplify matters.
> >
> > My ideal here would be a live cd, or even floppy that booted with some
> > generic drivers, grabbed an ip from dhcp, and started sshd from a
> > known port with a known password so that I could start sysinstall from
> > the command line. It's seems intuitive enough, but I haven't been able
> > to find anything like it.
> >
> > Does anyone have a suggestion?
>

> I may be wrong, but I believe that FreeSBIE would do this. . . maybe
> depending on your nic.

This email and attachment(s): [  ] blogable; [ x ] ask first; [  ]
private and confidential

daggerquill [at] gmail [dot] com
http://www.tuaw.com  http://www.dpguru.com  http://www.engatiki.org

values of ? will give rise to dom!