[nycbug-talk] porting a script from linux to freebsd

David Rio Deiros driodeiros
Wed Jan 11 14:00:38 EST 2006

Hi there,

I am porting a linux script to freebsd. The script gathers kernel
information (cpu, memory, I/O , etc...) using linux
commands like sar and free.

I have been able to find most of the "equivalents" commands in freebsd
but I am sucked with some of them:

1. linux command (sar -u) - [ iowait ]

The man pages tells me this about iowait: were idle during
which the system had an outstanding disk I/O request.

2. linux command (sar -u) - [ cnice ]

The man page says: Percentage of CPU utilization that
occurred while executing at the user level with nice priority.

3. linux command (free) - [ buffers/cache ]

-/+ buffers/cache:     300600     213052

The linux man isn't very precise on the explanation:

free  displays the total amount of free and used physical and swap mem-
ory in the system, as well as the buffers  used  by  the  kernel

It is my understanding that free is showing the amount of memory
that the kernel has allocated for internal (kernel) use.

4. linux command (sar -P ALL) - [ %idle of all the CPUs ]

I couldn't find a program in freebsd that shows me that.

Thanks for your help in advance,

David