[nycbug-talk] Dynamic DNS MX Records

pete wright nomadlogic
Tue Jan 17 11:05:49 EST 2006

On 1/17/06, Ray Lai <nycbug at cyth.net> wrote:
> Hi Nycbuggers,
>
> I'm currently paying $60/month for Speakeasy for two static IPs.
> (Really, one is enough.) This is because I have my own web server
> and, more importantly, my own mail server.  I am looking to use
> Verizon's $14.95/month DSL, but I'm pretty sure they use dynamic
> IPs and I will need to set up dynamic DNS entries.
>
> What are people's thoughts and experiences on this?  Has anyone
> lost mail due to this setup?  Are there alternatives?

I've used DynDNS for a while (.http://www.dyndns.com/)  It's pretty
OK.  Not sure i would trust important Mail on a DynDNS managed domain,
but for what you pay (nothing) and what you save on the DSL link it
may be worth it.  I know there are FreeBSD ports for DynDNS updaters,
and belive that there are Open one's as well.  But, frankly updating a
record is doable in a couple lines of  sh.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright