[nycbug-talk] Dynamic DNS MX Records

Charles Sprickman spork
Tue Jan 17 17:22:14 EST 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Ray Lai wrote:

> Hi Nycbuggers,
>
> I'm currently paying $60/month for Speakeasy for two static IPs.
> (Really, one is enough.) This is because I have my own web server
> and, more importantly, my own mail server.  I am looking to use
> Verizon's $14.95/month DSL, but I'm pretty sure they use dynamic
> IPs and I will need to set up dynamic DNS entries.

I am clearly biased, but I would not even wish Verizon on my worst
enemies.  But even without that bias, I'd say that if you want to run
servers at home, and they are at all important, look to the old adage of
"you get what you pay for".

I'm really holding my tongue here about the recent moves by the baby bells
to "prioritize" traffic and do a little double-dipping since I have to
imagine that's how they plan to offer the $15/month limited-time
promotions...

Charles