[nycbug-talk] Re: wasabi

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Mon Jan 23 17:30:22 EST 2006

On 1/23/06, alex at pilosoft.com <alex at pilosoft.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Isaac Levy wrote:
> > Though to really put my mouth where my heart is, I'm a pretty firm
> > believer that the GPL is a sort of fascist, absolutist freedom for
> > software.  I believe the authors, and the spirit of the GPL, values
> > source code and machine cycles, far more than human life and liberties.
> > With that, I tend to simply see machines and code as extensions of human
> > beings, and disagree with the GPL.
> I value time I spent writing code. I want to be compensated for it. Either
> by being paid by licensee (commercial license), or by forcing other people
> to release their improvements to my software (which hopefully will be
> somewhat useful to me).

So no matter what happens you want to get paid in some way and there
is nothing wrong with that.

> I don't see place for a BSD license. I'm not *that* altruistic, I guess.

fine

> > (Some folks say that view is a stretch, but kick back with a printout of
> > the GPL on your next subway ride and then tell me why I'm wrong.)
> This is becoming a flamewar.

Reading the licence we are discussing is grounds for this atempt at
taking this whole thead off topic by accusing Ike of starting a flame
war?  I think you *have* read the gpl but just dont want other people
to do so.  Why is that?  Personally I think it is more of a comunist
license, ie touch it and you loose most/all of your property rights on
what you wrote that touched it.  Face it the license has cooties.

marc