[nycbug-talk] windows anti-virus suggestions

Mikel King mikel.king
Tue Jan 24 14:16:15 EST 2006

On Jan 24, 2006, at 1:46 PM, George Georgalis wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:27:09AM -0800, pete wright wrote:

>>> I thought everyone used clamav.net I think it's perl
>>> but I'm not sure if it runs _on_ windows machines.

http://www.clamwin.com/  Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does
not include an on-access real-time scanner, that is, you need to
manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware. Microsoft
Outlook Addin, however will delete a virus-infected attachment
automatically.

>> i don't think it run's under windows (which may be a good thing) but
>> you can always export your volumes that users are allowed to write to
>> and have a dedicated *BSD box scan that.
>
> I never really understood the scan volumes feature, I'd say scan
> before exchange... but maybe people download viruses other ways, I
> cannot imagine them not getting opened before a scan if they where
> downloaded by IE
>
> // George

There are those lovely viruses that propagate through user writable
volumes. The are rare now a days, because most people do not leave
their systems that open anymore.