[nycbug-talk] *BSD compairson

Scott Robbins scottro
Wed Jan 25 12:03:53 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 10:48:03AM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> Folks, most of us have strong opinions about DragonFlyBSD,
> FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD (alphebetical, I think there are
> others). But can someone provide an unbiased compairson?
>
> I know it's a moving target, and I'm not looking for technical
> details, just the big points and features. Looks like I'll be
> migrating some Linux systems to BSD; but exactly why I choose
> one BSD over another is not easy to explain whthout going into
> technical examples.
>
> Is there a resource that describes the different cultures,
> philosophy, implementation, performance or some other differences?

The wiki at http://www.bsdnexus.com has somewhat of a comparision.

I always thought the best explanation was that of Greg Lehey (who is
almost certainly biased, admittedly, towards FreeBSD) that one should
(with the exception of DragonFly, at least at this date) look at their
slogans to see what their emphasis is.

FreeBSD, the power to serve
NetBSD, of course it runs NetBSD
OpenBSD, only one remote hole in the default install, in more than 8
years!

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Joyce: You belong in a good old fashioned college with keg
parties and boys. Not here with Hellmouths and vampires.
Buffy: Not really seeing the distinction.