[nycbug-talk] Fibre Channel, RAID, free hardware, oh my!

Charles Sprickman spork
Tue Jan 31 17:21:53 EST 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> GEOM,
> GEOM,
> GEOM.

So Ike, you're saying GEOM is pretty good?  :)

> GEOM based utilities are simply more modern, faster, tighter, cleaner; and
> it's got a very bright future.  On top of that, the userland tools are very
> elegant- (in comparison to vinum, which is um, not.)

Are you aware of any examples of rather large configs (either in size or
sheer number of drives)?  I'd like to mirror each drive in one chassis to
a drive in the second chassis and then stripe all those mirrors together.

Looking at the Geom pages, that was not totally clear.  I think I'll just
have to scrounge some drives up and see what happens.

And how does one monitor for drive failures?  Do you have to log-scrape,
or is there a command to show the state of an array?  "gmirror status"?
"gmirror list"?  I guess I'm most curious how that works when you stripe
mirror sets together...

Thanks!

Charles