[nycbug-talk] Noob networking question

Marco Scoffier marco at metm.org
Fri Jul 21 10:40:08 EDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 09:59:06AM -0400, Brad Schonhorst wrote:
>On 7/21/06, Marco Scoffier <marco at metm.org> wrote:
>>On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 12:06:23AM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>><snip auto negotiation stuff moved to email reply to Pete>
>>>
>>>Are the machines with differing speeds all Macs?  Different models of
>>>Macs?  Different versions of OS-X?
>>
>>All the clients are Macs.  Different models, but all finally at OS 10.4.
>
>If your macs are running 10.4 there is no reason to use appletalk.  i
>would suggest you disable it.  Bonjour is apple's 'replacement' for
>apple talk for zeroconf networking (finding that lost network
>printer.)  Both Bonjour and AFP are using TCP/IP at this point making
>appletalk severely outdated.

Hi Brad,

Are you suggesting nfs on the FreeBSD shared server and Bonjour on the
clients ?  Not having looked at Bonjour at all, lets just say the name
doesn't inspire much confidence ... :)

>Also, if you must use appletalk, (OS 9 clients maybe) it doesn't like
>spanning tree protocol so you may want to turn that off on your
>switch.

Yes there used to be OS9 clients in the network, but thankfully and
recently I only have to deal with OS 10.4.

--
Marco