[nycbug-talk] Noob networking question

Brad Schonhorst bschonhorst at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 11:44:16 EDT 2006

On 7/21/06, Marco Scoffier <marco at metm.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 09:59:06AM -0400, Brad Schonhorst wrote:
> >On 7/21/06, Marco Scoffier <marco at metm.org> wrote:
> >>On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 12:06:23AM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> >><snip auto negotiation stuff moved to email reply to Pete>

> >>All the clients are Macs.  Different models, but all finally at OS 10.4.
> >
> >If your macs are running 10.4 there is no reason to use appletalk.  i
> >would suggest you disable it.  Bonjour is apple's 'replacement' for
> >apple talk for zeroconf networking (finding that lost network
> >printer.)  Both Bonjour and AFP are using TCP/IP at this point making
> >appletalk severely outdated.
> >
> Hi Brad,
>
> Are you suggesting nfs on the FreeBSD shared server and Bonjour on the
> clients ?  Not having looked at Bonjour at all, lets just say the name
> doesn't inspire much confidence ... :)

I just re-read your original post and it looks like you are using
atalk for file sharing right?  Your right, Bonjour probably isn't the
best solution for that situation.  Have you tried just using NFS.  So
NFS on server, NFS on client?  These days, mac's can almost be thought
of as unix boxes. You wouldn't use atalk to connect 2 freebsd machines
right?

Connecting to an NFS server on 10.4 should be as easy as Clicking Go
-> Connect to Server and entering the NFS share:
nfs://myserver.com/home/brad

Guess this doesn't answer your original question but I think you may
be happier in the long run to get appletalk of your network.

-Brad