[nycbug-talk] Noob networking question

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Fri Jul 21 11:56:51 EDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Brad Schonhorst wrote:

>>> If your macs are running 10.4 there is no reason to use appletalk.  i
>>> would suggest you disable it.  Bonjour is apple's 'replacement' for
>>> apple talk for zeroconf networking (finding that lost network
>>> printer.)  Both Bonjour and AFP are using TCP/IP at this point making
>>> appletalk severely outdated.
>>>
>> Hi Brad,
>>
>> Are you suggesting nfs on the FreeBSD shared server and Bonjour on the
>> clients ?  Not having looked at Bonjour at all, lets just say the name
>> doesn't inspire much confidence ... :)
>>

> I just re-read your original post and it looks like you are using
> atalk for file sharing right?  Your right, Bonjour probably isn't the
> best solution for that situation.  Have you tried just using NFS.  So
> NFS on server, NFS on client?  These days, mac's can almost be thought
> of as unix boxes. You wouldn't use atalk to connect 2 freebsd machines
> right?

Just to be clear, Bonjour/Rendezvous is simply for autodiscovering hosts
and the services on them.  Some of those services may include file sharing
services...

AppleTalk file sharing is really the preferred way to be working here.
Keep in mind that this does not mean using AFP over AppleTalk.  AFP also
runs over TCP, and that's what current OS-X uses by default.

AppleTalk File Sharing != AppleTalk network protocol.

A good site that deals with this sort of thing is http://afp548.com/

Just wanted to be clear on that...

Charles