[nycbug-talk] Noob networking question

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Jul 21 12:09:08 EDT 2006

>>> Hi Brad,
>>>
>>> Are you suggesting nfs on the FreeBSD shared server and Bonjour on the
>>> clients ?  Not having looked at Bonjour at all, lets just say the name
>>> doesn't inspire much confidence ... :)
>>>

>> I just re-read your original post and it looks like you are using
>> atalk for file sharing right?  Your right, Bonjour probably isn't the
>> best solution for that situation.  Have you tried just using NFS.  So
>> NFS on server, NFS on client?  These days, mac's can almost be thought
>> of as unix boxes. You wouldn't use atalk to connect 2 freebsd machines
>> right?
>
> Just to be clear, Bonjour/Rendezvous is simply for autodiscovering hosts
> and the services on them.  Some of those services may include file sharing
> services...
>
> AppleTalk file sharing is really the preferred way to be working here.
> Keep in mind that this does not mean using AFP over AppleTalk.  AFP also
> runs over TCP, and that's what current OS-X uses by default.
>
> AppleTalk File Sharing != AppleTalk network protocol.

yea i tend to agree here, especially for smaller shops that have been Mac
houses for a while.  You most likely already have all your mac auth stuff
setup and the users are used to it.  FreeBSD can be set up to share
AppleTalk volumes with decent performance - so I'd stick with it IMO.

-pete

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright