[nycbug-talk] dd-wrt

Anthony Elizondo anthony.elizondo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 13:45:12 EDT 2006

On 6/7/06, Jonathan Vanasco <nycbug-list at 2xlp.com> wrote:
> disclaimer: its linux
>
> has anyone played around with upgrading a $60 linksys to a dd-wrt ?
>
> docs:
>         http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=What_is_%22DD-WRT%22%3F
>
> idiots guide:
>         http://www.lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-
> router-into-a-600-router-178132.php
>
> at <$60 to set up, it looks pretty enticing

I've installed dd-wrt, but it was an older version and I did not use
it extensively.

I've tried quite a few of the WRT54G replacement firmwares: Wifi Box,
Sveasoft, HyperWRT, and dd-wrt. I was looking specifically for one
feature (SNMP monitoring) so I stuck with Wifi Box, since it was one
of the first to offer SNMP. I may look back into dd-wrt if I start to
need QOS...

Flashing is a very simple process. About as hard as uploading a file
through a web form.

$600 is a bit of a stretch, though. With these firmwares you can
really add quite a lot of functionality to a simple WRT54G, but they
are still consumer-grade hardware.

Anthony