[nycbug-talk] Conference Topics Thread

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Jun 19 13:17:57 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:55:46AM -0401, michael wrote:
> Hello NYCBUG list subscribers,
>
> We are well into planning season for this year's New York City BSD
> Conference. One of the goals this year is to provide the content and
> speakers that you want to see most.  To that end, we are asking
> everyone to participate in the planning of the conference by making
> suggestions.  Here is your chance to voice your opinion.
>
> This year's central theme for topics is "BSD in Production".
>
> Some presentation topics may be:
> 1. afs in production
> 2. serial console mgmt
> 3. large data mgmt (large raid, nas, san, etc)

big +1 here.  i'd especially like to see how others are using *BSD
software to help with mangement of large NAS and SAN installations.  i
may be able to chip in a bit here as well...

> 4. hands on kerberos for single sign-on
+1 here too

> 5. server/network usage and app monitoring
+1, although i'm tired of maintaining this stuff at work ;)
> 7. server/network security, best practices
> 8. zone mgmt in large installations
> 9. os patching mgmt in large installations
>
> This is just a 'starter' list.  Vote for the ones you like.  Add to the
> list yourself.

i'd also like to see something along the lines of programming in $LANG
for sysadmins.  was in an execellent Perl Guru session at Usenix this
year and would like to see more in this area.  As a sys admin i find i
have less time to sit down and really soak in new languages, and having
a talk geared towards how to use a lang in a sysadmin role would be
helpfull i think...

maybe we can ask David Blank-Edelman to come down (he's at North
Eastern in Boston)?

-p
--
~~oO00Oo~~