[nycbug-talk] Conference Topics Thread

Brad Schonhorst bschonhorst at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 19:30:31 EDT 2006

On 6/19/06, michael <lists at genoverly.net> wrote:
> Hello NYCBUG list subscribers,
>
> We are well into planning season for this year's New York City BSD
> Conference. One of the goals this year is to provide the content and
> speakers that you want to see most.  To that end, we are asking
> everyone to participate in the planning of the conference by making
> suggestions.  Here is your chance to voice your opinion.
>
> This year's central theme for topics is "BSD in Production".

Sounds great!

> Some presentation topics may be:
> 1. afs in production
> 2. serial console mgmt
> 3. large data mgmt (large raid, nas, san, etc)
+1 - sounds interesting

> 4. hands on kerberos for single sign-on
> 5. server/network usage and app monitoring

+1 Loved Michael Lucas's talk last year on netflow...maybe some snmp
server monitoring or other net monitoring tools would be good.  A
'tricks with tcpdump' would be cool too.

> 7. server/network security, best practices

+1 using BSD tools/solutions for net security would be interesting

> 8. zone mgmt in large installations
> 9. os patching mgmt in large installations

+1 this would be great as well!  Good list.

> This is just a 'starter' list.  Vote for the ones you like.  Add to the
> list yourself.

10.  BSD's Packet Filter  (its not just for Open anymore)

-Brad