[nycbug-talk] gjournal

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Jun 20 12:25:30 EDT 2006

> Peter Wright wrote:
>> http://tinyurl.com/lzzg8
>>
>> execellent.  i think i'm going to start playing with this, anyone else
>> had
>> a chance to check it out yet?
>
> Journaling for UFS, awesome!  I may see if I can use my swap partition for
> this, with 2GB RAM I never use swap anyway :)  Copying of large files is
> annoyingly slower it appears but it's not something I do that often that
> it would be a big issue at least.

well the best, or most interesting part IMO, is the fact that this is GEOM
class.  meaning it is implemented below the file system layer.  So we
should be able to use this to enable journaling for other filesystems we
may import later (or have already imported but do not have journaling
enabeled i.e. ext3).

but yes, very exciting stuff ;)

-pete

ps--> two good background links for GEOM
http://phk.freebsd.dk/pubs/bsdcon-03.slides.geom-tutorial.pdf
http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/Geom/

--
~~oO00Oo~~