[nycbug-talk] Conference Topics Thread

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Jun 21 11:34:18 EDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 01:57:47AM -0400, swygue wrote:
> On 6/19/06, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:
> >
> >On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, michael wrote:
> >
> >> 3. large data mgmt (large raid, nas, san, etc)
> >
> >+10000
> >
> >10. Techniques for managing more than a handful of *BSD servers:  software
> >installation, configuration management, OS updates/patches, etc.
> >
> >Charles
>

> 10.1. I would like to see how people are using cfengine and subversion for
> configuration management.

this would be good, as i've been working on this for a while.  although
svn isn't in a default world so i'd use CVS ;)

> 10.2. FreeBSD Jumpstart via pxe,netboot,nfs, especially maintaining one
> install.cfg to support different hardware.

yea that would be a good topic as well.  as an aside i'd like to see
someone hack up Xcat to serve out *BSD images
(www.xcat.org)

> 10.3 Starting a FreeBSD installation from windows boot.ini, grub or
> kickstart.

could be interesting, although not neccessary if you have pxe setup
correctly ;)

all three of these topics could be covered in one lecture easilly as
they are all parts of admin'ing a large site.

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright