[nycbug-talk] Conference Topics Thread

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Wed Jun 21 11:55:14 EDT 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Pete Wright wrote:

> based on some recent hell i've been through at work could we do a
> lecture titled: DBA's and the SysAdmins who Hate Them
*putting the ex-DBA hat on*: I can just as easily speak about "sysadmins
and the DBA's who hate them", or "sysadmins and network geeks who hate
them". The root of the problem is specialization and narrow knowledge of
certain people (sysadmins, dbas, neteng, etc) - to be a good DBA you need
to know a bit of sysadmin, and vice versa. Unfortunately, it is hard
enough to find person who has enough clue to do *his* job. That's why
people who have wide experience are so much more valued. :)

> One a more serious note, have there been any offers for people to talk
> about RDBMS's?  The postgresql talk was pretty good last year, I'd like
> to see more of that if possible...
It's a BSD conference, so why talk about postgresql? I mean, I can't
really think of many things in postgresql that are bsd-specific...