[nycbug-talk] Apple Intel Servers?

Mikel King mikel.king
Fri Mar 3 10:20:25 EST 2006

On Mar 3, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Brad Schonhorst wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:19 -0500, Mikel King <mikel.king at ocsny.com>
> wrote:
>> I have a client that has a few intel Macs, so far so good. But on the
>> flipside I have experienced some rather unusual out of the box
>> failures
>> during the last 6 months. Seemed like Apple was rushing equipment
>> out the
>> door relying on post support to pickup the slack.
>
> It seems their hardware issues are not limited only to gen 1 products.
>  I just had to have logic boards replaced on 5 eMacs, all purchased in
> August 2004.  I was lucky  enough to convince the engineers they
> shipped faulty hardware and get the repairs covered w/out warranty
> though, so cheers to apple for clean up their mess.
>
> I suppose its not just apple, I recently had a dell server hard drive
> go bad after a month of use.
>
> So my question is, if I am planning to purchase an xserve or two in
> the near future, do I get a g5 model or wait for the intels, which
> will probably mean waiting for the 2nd version of the intels...

Brad you raise a concern we've had in my office over the last year
regarding DELL and HP. Seems that the major manufacturers are rushing
product out the door skipping the Q/A process. Or at the very least
running the equipment through a shorter Q/A procedure. Maybe they've
all subcontracted the same Q/A firm to do this work for them. It just
seems to me that equipment failures are more common during the first
3-6 months than they were several years ago.

Has anyone else experienced this trend?

Cheers,
Mikel King
CIO, Director of Network Operations
Optimized Computer Solutions, INC
Tech Alliance, INC
39 West Fourteenth Street
Second Floor
New York, NY 10011
http://www.ocsny.com
http://www.techally.com
t: 212.727.2100x132
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use
each other, but optimists help each other.
Collaboration feeds your spirit, while
competition only stokes your ego. You'll
find the best way to get along.