[nycbug-talk] home grown firewall solutions ...

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Mon Mar 13 12:38:19 EST 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Trish Lynch wrote:

> The people who manage to do this within a manageable cost will become
> billionaires, in my opinion (I have some ideas on how to do this, along
> with a current work-mate, but we need funding, and until we get it,
> we're keeping our ideas under wraps, until the patents go through, as
> we'd like to keep our money.
>
> Lets just say, it *is* non-trivial to keep track of this amount of flows
> and state of each, but it can be simplified, and the hackery is nothing
> short of magic :)
I'll put it this way. It is non-trivial, but it ain't rocket science
either. Anyone with CS degree should be able to figure out algorithms that
work. My personal opinion is that it is impractical to do this on
general-purpose hardware (without some sort of parallelization schemes).

Then again, look at what Mazu are doing with Click...

-alex