[nycbug-talk] pthreads?

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Thu Mar 23 15:48:17 EST 2006

I'm running FreeBSD 6.0

/etc/make.conf didn't have pthreads enabled

probably a good thing, because my box primarily does mod_perl/Apache2
and postgres, all of which have had issues w/ pthreads in the past

i just ran into a slight issue though

i'd like to run exim-sqlite as my mta (currently its exim-postgres,
but the machine is going into production mode, so i don't want to
have a webapp and mta competing for db resources)

exim-sqlite seems to require sqlite3 built w/pthreads
building sqlite w/pthreads seems to require a bunch of other things
being built with pthreads too (though  i haven't figured out what yet)

which presents me with this question-

are pthreads safe that i could/should have had -pthreads in my /etc/
make.conf ?

apache/mp isn't thread safe, but its easy to not build them against it

i'm more wondering why it wasn't in make.conf as i keep running into
apps that  need them