[nycbug-talk] AFS (Andrew File System) Article published on Daemon News

Bjorn Nelson o_sleep at belovedarctos.com
Thu May 11 20:46:51 EDT 2006

Ike,

On May 11, 2006, at 2:45 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:

> A humble question, but with regard to AFS/Coda 'where's the beef'?

I have used it but haven't actually implemented it so I only know it
from a user point of view.  For a replicated read only file system
it's pretty stable, it only allows rights on one filesystem that is
distributed to the read onlys.  It also has built in directory based
permissions acls.  It basically takes the most restrictive of chmod
for files and afs acl on the directory.  It also maintains a cache of
the mount locally so after the first read, it's as fast as being
local.  Nonetheless, I am kind of looking forward to the feature set
of NFSv4.

-Bjorn