[nycbug-talk] Confusion around Grub, NetBSD 3.0, DAC960 control (all for Xen)

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon May 15 15:52:38 EDT 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 01:32:58PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> The machine boots to what looks like the normal BSD bootloader, loads a
> kernel, then reboots. Rinse, wash, repeat. The reboot behaviour tells me
> that my attempt to install grub did /something/ to the boot sequence: it
> was booting fine before. But seeing the BSD bootloader instead of a grub
> prompt makes me believe that the install wasn't done right.
>
> Is there an easy way to recover from this? My thought was to boot from
> the install disk, get a shell, and re-install the BSD bootloader
> somehow, and try to recover from there.
>
> Perhaps it's an issue that I'm booting from a DAC960 virtual disk? (In
> NetBSD, it's the ld0 device). I trusted grub-install to come up with the
> device map, perhaps that's the problem.

Not having used Grub on NetBSD in awhile, I could easily be wrong about
this.  However, I remember there were some issues with it.  Looking at
an old grub page of mine, I see I was writing about NetBSD 1.6.1  :)

At any rate, the old (and unmaintained) page is at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/grub.html.  There's a NetBSD
section, see if it does you any good at all.   (Although I fear it
won't.)

I should really put a note at the top of the page that it's been
unmaintained for years now.

> -T
>

> --
> Scott> > > See attached.
> Scott> > I didn't attach it, did I?
> Scott> This is sad.
> 	- Scott, stuck in an infinite non-attaching mental loop :-)

Hrrm, I don't know if the Scott of your sig is me, but it sure sounds
like me.  :)

- --

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Willow: Oz is a werewolf.
Buffy: It's a long story.
Oz: Got bit.
Buffy: But obviously not that long.