[nycbug-talk] Confusion around Grub, NetBSD 3.0, DAC960 control (all for Xen)

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Mon May 15 16:18:38 EDT 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 03:39:30PM -0400, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2006, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
<snip>
> Oh jebus. Get a ghetto dell P4/3ghz with an IDE drive for 500$, and it'll
> be far more power-efficient and an order of magnitude faster that the
> above. Of course, less of a 'omg look at all the prehistoric hardware i
> manage to keep running' factor.

It's a sentimental thing -- it was the part of the first mail system at
a provincial ISP I admin'ed back in '98. It's still vastly over-powered
for the usage I have planned for it, and I have the other one for
spares.

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/xen/howto.html

See paragraph 2 under _http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/xen/howto.html_.

> > Is there an easy way to recover from this? My thought was to boot from
> > the install disk, get a shell, and re-install the BSD bootloader
> > somehow, and try to recover from there.
> yes, that's what you do.
>
> on freebsd, you use installboot to install bootloader. I don't know how it
> is on netbsd.

That binary doesn't exist on any of my FreeBSD machines. I assume you
meant bsdlabel -B? Digging through the man pages, it looks like
installboot is for NetBSD (which is what I'll need).

I'll try that tonight, which will get me to a normal NetBSD 3.0 system.
Getting to a domain0 system is the next step -- the NetBSD Xen HOWTO is
missing a lot of details around the grub section.

-T

--
To imagine a human world without ethics, but in which life goes well, it is
necessary to suppose a golden age: a world without competition, or causes of