[nycbug-talk] upgrading perl and all deps (FreeBSD)

Steve Rieger riegersteve at gmail.com
Wed May 17 01:21:23 EDT 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 9:42 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just curious what folks here do that have perl installed from ports
> and
> have a large number of dependencies...  A good example would be
> something
> like SpamAssassin (have a look at it with 'pkg_tree -v
> p5-Mail-SpamAssassin').
>
> If you make the mistake of just running portupgrade on perl, you
> end up
> with quite a mess - portupgrade will fix up the dependencies in the
> pkg
> db, but it will basically break all your modules since the location
> of the
> modules changes with each version of perl.  You would then have to
> "portupgrade -f p5-*" to rebuild/uninstall/reinstall everything.
>
> Running "portupgrade -rf perl-5.8.x" seems to generally work well.
>
> But is there any better way I'm missing?  The main drawback here is
> that
> if you don't have a dedicated build host, you have perl unavailable
> for a
> pretty sizable length of time...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charles
for perl, php, ad apache, i never use the ports, because of this reason

why dont you roll perl from source into /usr/local/perl586 and
install all the modules via cpan (and /usr/local/perl586)

then point RT to that perl but use your port perl for the ports.

--
postmaster
riegersteve at gmail.com
310-339-4355
yahoo  = riegersteve
icq        = 53956607
Ride Free, Ride On, Ride Safe

I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street, I met a
man who had no feet.