[nycbug-talk] upgrading perl and all deps (FreeBSD)

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed May 17 11:32:20 EDT 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 12:42:41AM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just curious what folks here do that have perl installed from ports and
> have a large number of dependencies...  A good example would be something
> like SpamAssassin (have a look at it with 'pkg_tree -v
> p5-Mail-SpamAssassin').
>
> If you make the mistake of just running portupgrade on perl, you end up
> with quite a mess - portupgrade will fix up the dependencies in the pkg
> db, but it will basically break all your modules since the location of the
> modules changes with each version of perl.  You would then have to
> "portupgrade -f p5-*" to rebuild/uninstall/reinstall everything.
>
> Running "portupgrade -rf perl-5.8.x" seems to generally work well.
>
> But is there any better way I'm missing?  The main drawback here is that
> if you don't have a dedicated build host, you have perl unavailable for a
> pretty sizable length of time...

i've been slowly migrating my boxen over to portmanager(1)
/usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager.  It seems to take an easier, for me
atleast, approach to updating ports and taking care of dependencies.  as
far as the build time goes, and lack of build host, i feel that pain.
although the perl packages seem to be sanely build for most cases.

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright