[nycbug-talk] Confusion around Grub, NetBSD 3.0, DAC960 control (all for Xen)

Johnny Lam jlam at pkgsrc.org
Fri May 19 12:46:51 EDT 2006

Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 02:18:38PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> Grub is still not installing happily though:
>
> kernfs on /kern type kernfs (local)
> -bash-3.1# grub-install --no-floppy /dev/rld0d
> /dev/rld0d does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

If you have grub-0.97nb5 installed from pkgsrc, then I think you can
fake out the grub-install script by manually creating a device.map file.
  The lame BIOS drive detection in grub doesn't work correctly for ld(4)
devices, but if you manually create a /grub/device.map file containing
the line:

	(hd0)	/dev/rld0d

Then re-run that grub-install command you have above and see if that
installs GRUB properly on your system.  This is what I did on my own
machine.

> Alternatively, is there a way to install the Xen kernel and a NetBSD
> domain0 using only the NetBSD boot loader?

No, there is no way to load the Xen hypervisor using the NetBSD boot
loader.  The boot process works by asking GRUB to load the Xen kernel
with the domain-0 kernel as a module.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam at pkgsrc.org>