[nycbug-talk] grub drive detection

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Fri May 19 13:38:43 EDT 2006

* Johnny Lam <jlam at pkgsrc.org> [2006-05-19 12:46:51 -0400]:
> The lame BIOS drive detection in grub doesn't work correctly for ld(4)
> devices, but if you manually create a /grub/device.map file containing
> the line:
>
> 	(hd0)	/dev/rld0d
>
> Then re-run that grub-install command you have above and see if that
> installs GRUB properly on your system.

It's even lamer, I added a second drive to my machine and GRUB
autodetected that, but then somehow "forgot" about my original drive,
so this:

    (hd0)	/dev/ad8

became this:

    (hd0)	/dev/ad5

Until I edited it like so:

    (hd0)	/dev/ad8
    (hd1)	/dev/ad5

It was not that big a deal, but I could have ran "grub-install" and
overwrote the MB on the wrong disk had I been a little less careless.

(This was on a brand new install of FreeBSD 6.1 two days ago. I noticed
that grub has not changed in the ports tree in the past couple of
months. Is it being actively developed anymore, or does the BSD port get
low priority?)

Thomas

--
N.J. Thomas