[nycbug-talk] Wireless internet card on FreeBSD laptop

Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov rambiusparkisanius at gmail.com
Wed May 24 12:30:53 EDT 2006

Hello,

On 5/24/06, Gordon Smith <g at bin-arts.com> wrote:
> Rambius,
>
> Last summer I was able to get my cruddy Jetbook laptop working just fine
> with FreeBSD 5.4 and a Linksys 802.11G card using "The NDISulator" (a.k.a.
> "Project Evil") which creates a clever FreeBSD kernel-compatible wrapper
> around an NDIS NIC driver (intended to be installed under Windows).
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.h
> tml
> "27.3.3.6.3 802.11a & 802.11g Clients"
I read this section and I tried the follow the steps in it. However,
when I had to provide the Windows drivers *.INF and *.SYS files I
found out that they were not supplied on the CDs from Verizon. I then
looked for them on the Windows laptop and I found the following *.SYS
and *.INF files in C:\Program Files\Verizon Wireless\PC5740:

pwi_bus.cat
pwi_bus.inf
pwi_bus.sys
pwi_cmnt.sys
pwi_ir16.dll
pwi_ir32.dll
pwi_mdfl.sys
pwi_mdm.cat
pwi_mdm.sys
pwi_mdm2.inf
pwi_oflt.sys
pwi_sdm2.inf
pwi_serd.cat
pwi_serd.sys
PWI_Uninstall.exe
pwi_whnt.sys
pwi_wmcp.dll

I tried to build a ndis driver using pwi_bus.inf and pwi_bus.sys, but
I had no luck - when I loaded them, dmesg showed nothing.

> Using a true native driver might be preferable, but Project Evil *is* a
> viable option.
Yes, I was happy to have it as a starter. Now the question is where I
can take the Windows drivers for that card...

> Hope this helps.

Thank you vey much for your help.

Regards
Rambius