[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD scp/sftp problems, large files

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu May 25 23:15:42 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm a little stumped by this and thought I'd bring it up here before
hitting the openssh list...

I have two FreeBSD boxes, one at a datacenter running 4.11 (OpenSSH 3.5p1)
and then one at the office running 6.1 (OpenSSH 4.2p1).  Both are
stock/base-system OpenSSH installs.  The two locations are connected by a
10Mb metro-ethernet connection.  No problems going from the 4.11 host at
the datacenter to another 4.11 host at the office.

The problem is that going from the 4.11 to the 6.1 box is that scp or sftp
transfers fail consistently at about 8.3MB.  The ssh client reports "lost
connection" and exits.  Nothing in the logs on either machine.  The 4.11
box runs ipf, the 6.1 runs pf, and I see no signs of this in the firewall
logs of either box.  No evidence of problems in "netstat -m" on either.

If I go from the 6.1 box to the 4.11 box (ie: the 6.1 is the client), no
problems.

Any ideas where to hunt?  Why 8.3MB to failure?

Thanks,

Charles