[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD scp/sftp problems, large files

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri May 26 09:21:26 EDT 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 11:15:42PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a little stumped by this and thought I'd bring it up here before
> hitting the openssh list...
>
> I have two FreeBSD boxes, one at a datacenter running 4.11 (OpenSSH 3.5p1)
> and then one at the office running 6.1 (OpenSSH 4.2p1).  Both are
> stock/base-system OpenSSH installs.  The two locations are connected by a
> 10Mb metro-ethernet connection.  No problems going from the 4.11 host at
> the datacenter to another 4.11 host at the office.
>
> The problem is that going from the 4.11 to the 6.1 box is that scp or sftp
> transfers fail consistently at about 8.3MB.  The ssh client reports "lost
> connection" and exits.  Nothing in the logs on either machine.  The 4.11
> box runs ipf, the 6.1 runs pf, and I see no signs of this in the firewall
> logs of either box.  No evidence of problems in "netstat -m" on either.
>
> If I go from the 6.1 box to the 4.11 box (ie: the 6.1 is the client), no
> problems.
>
> Any ideas where to hunt?  Why 8.3MB to failure?

hmm..that's a good one.  do you have a private link between both of
these machines, or is the path over the public 'net?  if it's private it
may be interesting to see home ttcp or something like that would behave.
if not maybe create a ssh tunnel b/w the two hosts and try ttcp'ing.
this may help you isolate where the problem may be happening...

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright