[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD scp/sftp problems, large files

Aleksandar Kacanski kacanski_s at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 09:44:45 EDT 2006

I had similar problem with Linux, but I had NAT to
deal with on the top of Cisco FW.
My issue was not repeating on exact MB boundary like
yours, it would fluctuate in sizes. However I never
made total of 350Mb.
My work-around was to place the data to intermediary
server in DC and push from there. Eventually, I did
bypass NAT and that solved the problem.
/s

--- Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a little stumped by this and thought I'd bring
> it up here before
> hitting the openssh list...
>
> I have two FreeBSD boxes, one at a datacenter
> running 4.11 (OpenSSH 3.5p1)
> and then one at the office running 6.1 (OpenSSH
> 4.2p1).  Both are
> stock/base-system OpenSSH installs.  The two
> locations are connected by a
> 10Mb metro-ethernet connection.  No problems going
> from the 4.11 host at
> the datacenter to another 4.11 host at the office.
>
> The problem is that going from the 4.11 to the 6.1
> box is that scp or sftp
> transfers fail consistently at about 8.3MB.  The ssh
> client reports "lost
> connection" and exits.  Nothing in the logs on
> either machine.  The 4.11
> box runs ipf, the 6.1 runs pf, and I see no signs of
> this in the firewall
> logs of either box.  No evidence of problems in
> "netstat -m" on either.
>
> If I go from the 6.1 box to the 4.11 box (ie: the
> 6.1 is the client), no
> problems.
>
> Any ideas where to hunt?  Why 8.3MB to failure?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charles
> %Be sure to check out our Jobs and NYCBUG-announce
> lists

Aleksandar (Sasha) Kacanski