[nycbug-talk] creating "local" ports

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Fri Nov 3 15:18:33 EST 2006

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Sujit Karataparambil wrote:

>> I'd like to copy these into some sort of local ports directory, but that
>> raises
>> a few questions:
>>
>> -Is there an accepted location for this branch, ie: /usr/ports/local that
>> will
>> not get blown away on a cvsup or portsnap update?
>

> There is an LocalBase Port Location in FreeBSD.

Unless I'm mistaken, that's the base location of installed ports, not the
base location of the ports tree.

I'm specifically looking to do something like:

/usr/ports/LOCAL/qmail
/usr/ports/LOCAL/mailfront
etc...

> -How does one handle packages that depend on say, qmail, but I now want to
>> depend on local-qmail?  I know portupgrade can be tought this by setting
>> an
>> alternate pkgdep, but is there any clever way of doing this so that when
>> you're
>> not using portupgrade the deps are adjusted?
>
> Hope this might Help.
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/01/25/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

Thanks, that looks like an interesting starter on modifying an existing
port (which I do need to do, but it seems pretty trivial), but I'm
specifically looking to have an additional local category and having some
way of adjusting dependencies so that for example a port that depends on
qmail will instead depend on LOCAL/qmail...

Thanks,

Charles