[nycbug-talk] Mail Server In CBL List

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Sat Nov 4 15:06:42 EST 2006

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> alex at pilosoft.com writes:
>
> > Who cares. There are a lot of spam blocklists ran by retards.
>
> So what do you suggest? To no use them at all? Are any RBLs that you
> consider sane?
spamhaus SBL is generally sane, although lately its been moving into
"collateral damage" direction. nevertheless, it is probably the sanest.
I can say what *not* to use: SORBS/SPEWS/spamcop.

> > It is a self-inflicted DoS if you try to deal with each of them.
> > People who use such blocklists deserve what they get
>
> So what is your solution for handling spam?
>
> If blocking spam was as easy as sometimes people want to make it sound..
> there wouldn't be so many spammers making money out of sending millions
> of spam every day.
It is *very* nontrivial, and the current state-of-the-art is probably
combination of:

a) MTA front-end: short (1 minute) greylisting

b) bayes filtering: spamassassin or pyzor or...

c) blacklists

d) spamassassin plugins to do filtering based on URLs embedded in the
mail, and OCR of the URLs embedded in images

-alex