[nycbug-talk] Update to the FreeBSD mail/spamd filed as ports/105277

Yarema yds at CoolRat.org
Wed Nov 8 01:04:58 EST 2006

--On Wednesday, November 08, 2006 12:00 PM +0800 LI Xin
<delphij at delphij.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yarema wrote:
>> Inspired by Bob Beck's talk at the NYC BSD Con I implemented
>> spamd and greyscanner on my FreeBSD pf edge servers.  What a
>> difference!  Catches somewhere around 99% of the spam before
>> it ever reaches the mail server.
>>
>> Just filed <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=105277>.
>> Also available as a tarball at
>> <http://yds.CoolRat.org/freebsd/spamd.tbz>.
>>
>> Let me know what you think.  If you like, let the maintainer
>> know <delphij at FreeBSD.org>.
>>
>> The updated port is what I'm now running in production.
>
> I have slightly glanced at the patch and it looks fine to me,
> except some minor style issues that I have already fixed at my
> workspace.
>
> One point:  Why greyscanner is marked as IGNORE?  I think we
> really need a MD5 and SHA256 for security reasons...
>
> Cheers,

Thanks for looking at it so quickly.  At first I made checksums for
greyscanner.  But then I realized that Bob Beck is updating greyscanner so
often (and I clearly mark it as experimental) that it seems more pragmatic
to not have to update the port every time greyscanner is tweaked.  I figure
that anyone using greyscanner is experienced enough to also notice if
something's awry with fetching it or the code.  Greyscanner is slated to be
part of the OpenBSD/spamd 4.1 release according to the slides.  By then the
need to download the script separately will go away.

If you disagree feel free to make the checksums.  I was on the fence about
this one.

--
Yarema
http://yds.CoolRat.org/