[nycbug-talk] Update to the FreeBSD mail/spamd filed as ports/105277

Yarema yds at CoolRat.org
Wed Nov 8 09:21:12 EST 2006

--On Wednesday, November 08, 2006 3:40 PM +0800 LI Xin
<delphij at delphij.net> wrote:

> Yarema wrote:
>> --On Wednesday, November 08, 2006 2:19 PM +0800 LI Xin
>> <delphij at delphij.net> wrote:

>>> First you need an OpenBSD cvs mirrored locally, or use the
>>> anonymous OpenBSD CVS.  I have rolled CVS information into the
>>> tarball, so this would be done with something like
>>> "cvs -d /home/openbsd up -rOPENBSD_4_0"
>>> in each directories.  Then, check if there is newly added files
>>> in OpenBSD distribution, port the patches into the tree, verify
>>> that everything goes well, remove the .#* files, and finally
>>> you got a new tarball.
>>>
>>> Please note that if you roll a new tarball, I would advise that
>>> you either include our local patchsets into it, or separate all
>>> our local patchset out to files/.  This will make maintainer's
>>> life easier.
>>>
>>> So I guess it's midnight in NY?  It's afternoon here so if you
>>> are tired, just leave the work to me :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> Yeah, it's 1:30am US/Eastern so I'm ready to pass out.  If
>> you do roll another tarball consider including greyscanner
>> and all that code dealing with fetching it can be eliminated
>> from the Makefile.
>
> Yes.  I have prepared a tarball at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~delphij/misc/spamd.tar.bz2 and you
> may want to try it out, to see if the upgrade has all features
> you wanted.  I have uploaded the necessary distfile to my home
> directory but it can take some time to be populated out to
> mirror sites.
>
> I will walk through the open PRs to see if I have missed
> something.

OK, I did a few test builds.  I see that you opted to apply the FreeBSD
patches directly to the tarball.  There's one problem I found with that.
In spamd-setup.c line 51 ${LOCALBASE}, or ${PREFIX} if you will, gets hard
coded:

#define PATH_SPAMD_CONF		"/usr/local/etc/spamd.conf"

Same thing probably happens with the man pages.  Come to think of it I
think it would be simpler to maintain the port with the local FreeBSD
patches applied by the port at build time like before rather than rolling
the tarball with the patches already applied.  Who knows.. maybe the
OpenBSD folks will someday package spamd as a tarball themselves.  It would
be good to have those patches still araound in the files dir if/when that
happens.

Otherwise looks good.  Thanks again for looking into this so quickly.

--
Yarema
http://yds.CoolRat.org/