[nycbug-talk] Syntax question porteasy + freebsd.nycbug.org

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 23:26:59 EST 2006

On 11/13/06, Marco Scoffier <marco at metm.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 11:45:41AM -0500, Pete Wright wrote:
> >On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 10:42:51AM -0500, Marco Scoffier wrote:
> >> I can use the freebsd.nycbug.org with cvsup to download a whole ports
> >> tree, but what is the syntax for CVSROOT so that porteasy can use the
> >> nycbug repository.  I've tried different combos of :
> >>
> >> setenv CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs at freebsd.nycbug.org/var/db
> >> setenv CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs at freebsd.nycbug.org
> >> setenv CVSROOT=:pserver:freebsd.nycbug.org
> >> setenv CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs at freebsd.nycbug.org/home/ncvs
> >> setenv CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs at anoncvs.at.freebsd.nycbug.org/home/ncvs
> >>
> >> But I am missing something stupid presumably.
> >>
> >not too familiar with porteasy, but we are not running this host as a
> >CVS pserver.  we do have cvsupd running though.  if this is something
> >folks are interested in having i can look into allowing cvs access.
> >
> porteasy lets you download just the skeleton of the ports you need not
> the whole ports tree (thanks to Dru's blogs for that).

umm why bother, it seems like a bad idea to me anyway.  cvs is much
slower then using csup/cvsup or portsnap and the deltas are generally
small.  I used to do something like that by
excluding a bunch of foreign language ports, Chinese etc, and I had to
spend most of an evening why something would not build after a bunch
of months passed.  After that crappy evening time and disk space well
spent, get everything and be done with it.  Even if you are going to
need cvs for development I still think just get everything and be done
is the best way to go.  Generally networks are fast and disk is cheap
so why bother?

marc

--
Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.
Albert Camus