[nycbug-talk] [Re: greylisting proxies?]

Jonathan nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Sun Oct 1 15:08:30 EDT 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 12:48 PM, Okan Demirmen wrote:

> you can run spamd(8) in front of any mta; either on the same box or in
> front.

spamd and clamd are both memory and cpu intensive.

if you decide to run them, make sure to do preliminary filtering
beforehand:

	1. use some sort of verified sender policy like spf.  it'll cut down
about 20% of your spam.  its safe to use (no false positives) because
it only works with domains that have opted into the system.

	2. block obviously malicious attachments.  you can't do zip/exe in
most corporate settings, but there are a ton that viruses send out
ade:adp:bas:bat:chm:cmd:com:cpl:crt:exe:hlp:hta:inf:ins:isp:js:jse:lnk:m
db:mde:msc:msi:msp:mst:pcd:pif:reg:scr
:sct:shs:shb:url:vb:vbe:vbs:wsc:wsf:wsh:ADE:ADP:BAS:BAT:CHM:CMD:COM:CPL:
CRT:EXE:HLP:HTA:INF:INS:ISP:JS:JSE:LNK:MDB:MDE:MSC:MSI:MSP:MST:PCD:PIF:R
EG:SCR:SCT:SHS:SHB:URL:VB:VBE:VBS:WSC:WSF:WSH

	3. use some sort of regex hook / facility that can deal with virus
signatures within the MTA itself at receipt time.  in exim you can do
a simple PCRE pattern match.  during peak virus days this is a
godsend-- i remember one of the sobig variants killing almost every
mailsystem a few years back.  mine was going strong though, because a
quick low-cost regex during rcpt rejected 98% of incoming mail within
the MTA itself, before anything hit disk.

	4. tweak your system to only allow 2-4 failed addresses per
connection. that drastically limits the number of attempts by most
spam boxes.  also set your system to do a geometically increasing
temporary reject based on the number of failed recipients per ip.
ie: fail 1x in 1 hr, get a 1minute temp. reject.  fail 2x in 1 hr,
get a 2 minute temp reject , fail 3x in hr get a 4min... etc. i
forget what that method is called, but most MTAs support it built-
in... greylisitng was really just an offshoot of that approach.

	5. i've had luck with the razor network as a pre-filter to
spamassassin.

	6. when you run spamd, make sure you set at least 3 score limits:
accept , accept-to-spamfolder , reject.   I've seen tons of people
only use 2 levels, which either makes the spam-probable inbox
completely unusable-- or rejects far too many false positives.

	7. bayesian filtering in spamassasin kind of sucks.  its not very
good, its a fucking pain in the ass to set up per-user classifiers,
and you can not use a global classifier.   i tried and found it
worthless as two people on the system I had set up ended up  having a
rather large internet porn addiction, another was really into
mindless stock tips, a fourth had a habit of sending poorly spelled
emails in ALLCAPS full of racial epithets and filthier than dirty sex
jokes ( often both at once ) , and 3 more had friends in asia that
kept sending foreign character set encoded messages .   i've heard
mixed things on bogofilter , spambayes, and spamprobe.  CRM114 and
dspam are awesome, but can be a pain for setup ( they're probably the
two smartest approaches to filtering and ardent supporters of each
other's product )