[nycbug-talk] NetBSD on Mac mini

Amitai Schlair schmonz at schmonz.com
Sat Oct 7 23:23:59 EDT 2006

On Oct 7, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov wrote:

> Is it possible to install BSD on a Mac Mini? I googled around and
> found that NetBSD and OpenBSD has ports for Mac Mini. I want also to
> have a dual boot system with Mac OS. Has anyone done this? If so, can
> you share your opinion and advice?

Is it a PowerPC or Intel mini? I have no firsthand clue with Intel
Macs, but would guess they require Boot Camp to run any BSD variant.
I run NetBSD on a PowerPC mini (it's a mail/web server for myself and
a few friends) and am quite happy with it. I wrote up my install
steps here:

http://www.schmonz.com/2006/06/29/installing-netbsd-on-powerpc-mac-mini

NB: my situation differs from yours in that, since this is my server,
it's not dual-booting. NetBSD is the only OS installed.

Many people have dual-booted NetBSD and Mac OS X on PowerPC Macs, and
a few have probably done the same with Intel Macs. Check out the
macppc (or i386) install docs on www.netbsd.org, and ask on port-
macppc (or port-i386) if you need help. NetBSD can almost certainly
do what you want.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

- Amitai