[nycbug-talk] Student Discounts

michael lists at genoverly.net
Mon Oct 9 18:01:52 EDT 2006

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 14:39:24 -0400
Tim Allender <techneck at goldenpath.org> wrote:

While I do not speak for the organization committee, I will reply with
my not-so-humble opinion.

First.. it is a shame that you decided to publicly post to talk@ rather
than post an email to the organization committee... which may have been
more appropriate.

Second.. the conference pricing is *very-very* reasonable, and I doubt
if it is up for such debate at this late stage, anyway. Go ahead,
compare it to other BSD conferences.  I think it stacks up pretty well.
This is not a student event, it is not a professional event, it not
anything more than a BSD conference that a few people have devoted
time and effort to organize; and have announced to the BSD community.
>From what I see, the conference is trying to appeal to the broadest
common denominator. And I think they have managed to find a balance to
please MOST people. Come if you want; or don't.  It is not a public
service.

Not only is pricing to cover costs of putting on such an event. It is
also the value of what is being provided.  BSD developers and experts
are making the effort to fly from all over this continent and Europe
to speak to *you*. There are going to be well over a hundred like-minded
people to talk to, network with, learn with, and have fun with; for
*you*.  The conference is organizing all this into an action packed two
day affair. They are even giving you grub.  I do not understand why you
feel the need to complain.

To cut costs, I suppose, they could have:
1. had it in a less-than-nice space
2. not brought in developers and experts from outside NYC
3. not provided food for two days
4. not provided a good atmosphere for learning and fun

I sure those 4 things were debated.  I know it is true for me, -and I'd
bet that most people don't want to cut corners that deeply.  Most
people are willing to pay a small fee to get such a great value.  It
must have been really tough to find a balance TO PLEASE EVERYBODY, and
it appears to me that the organizers have bent over backwards to make it
happen for *you*. Frankly, I think it is inappropriate to publicly
complain that pricing does not please you.

I am of the opinion that complaining to the organizers (and telling
them they should discount the ticket price -because you say so) was
probably not the best approach. They are already working really hard
for *you*, to put this whole thing together.  If you really want to
serve your cause, then start a Tickets-for-Students fund and make the
first donation.

--

michael