[nycbug-talk] Charles M. Hannum on NetBSD

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Fri Sep 1 22:54:34 EDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 08:34:06PM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
>"George R." <george at sddi.net> wrote:
>
>> This is somewhere between some people losing commit privileges and the
>> OpenBSD split. . . and it's being portrayed as the former, but seems to
>> be more of the later.
>>
>> I really don't know why the NBSD Foundation would be publicizing this. . .
>
>The NetBSD Foundation published this because the NetBSD Foundation
>believes that open communication with their users on all matters is
>important.  NetBSD is an _Open_ Source project, after all.

right. I read the first announcement, it was pretty matter of fact.
As a legal foundation, certain rules are inflexible. While I didn't
read the particular documents, it is my sense that the developers
that lost their bit where simply unavailable or not willing to sign
a commitment to follow bylaws.

Here's another paragraph from the announcement.

  In 2002 the developers of NetBSD, who are the members and owners of
  the Foundation, voted to reorganize the corporation through an open
  process of instituting new Bylaws, electing a new Board, and making good
  on all legal obligations, such as back taxes and fees.  In the past 4
  years, NetBSD has grown and flourished under the supervision of four
  Boards of directors elected by the membership, adding 83 developers, and
  releasing 6 new versions of NetBSD and 12 quarterly branches of pkgsrc,
  its third-party packaging system, with (currently) 6226 packages.

NetBSD rocks btw.

// George