[nycbug-talk] dragonflybsd: process sharing/virtual kernels

Josh McCormack joshmccormack at travelersdiary.com
Sun Sep 3 23:06:01 EDT 2006

On 9/3/06, Bjorn Nelson <o_sleep at belovedarctos.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I was wondering what people think about being able to cluster at the
> OS level.  Matthew Dillon is proposing virtual kernels with caching
> as an easier alternative to their goal of process sharing between
> machines:
> http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/index.php/2006/09/02/1853.html
>
> The end result will be that you can have two or more machines operate
> as effectively one operating system.
<snip>

I don't feel like I understand this as fully as I'd like. Part of this
is from lack of the knowledge needed to understand, another might be
from lack of much info on this OS on the Internet.

Will it be possible at some point with DragonFly, if this works out,
to do this hot? I keep thinking how awesome it would be to be able to
have a laptop/palmtop and be able to plug it in to a well powered
desktop and have the laptop be able to use those resources, or even
possibly have this happen over a network.

Josh